Yet Another TV Review Podcast

I write an occasional TV Review blog (Click Here) as time permits,
You can follow me on twitter (Click Here) and/or Facebook (Click Here).
And I've collected some of my old reviews into a book (lulu.com/Amazon.com/Amazon.co.uk).

The Middleman pilot review

Photobucket


The Middleman


girl becomes superhero sidekick



Type of Pilot: Fantasy; Action; Comedy


Similar Shows: Doctor Who (girl whisked away to life of adventure by mysterious man), Once A Hero (quaint superhero in modern world), Reaper (under-achiever fights evil),


Strengths: Natalie Morales in a tie. Very sexy.


Weaknesses: You either "get it" or you don't. A love it/loathe it show.


Impressive Characters: Wendy Watson (what a great comic-book name) is impressive from the get-go. She's witty, spunky and looks great in a tie. She rolls with the punches of this odd world she lives in and I'm totally willing to follow her adventures. The Middleman, himself, is a fascinating character. His speech patterns, outlook on life, liking for Wendy and choice in driving music are all brilliant.


Impressive Actors: Natalie Morales is hilarious in the lead role. Quickfire deadpan delivery. Matt Keeslar nails the out-of-this-world quality of The Middleman perfectly. Mary Pat Gleason is hilarious as the secretary and, although he has a small role, Jake Smollett makes a big impression as the guy in the hallway with the guitar.


Less-Than-Impressive Characters: The roommate girl and the boyfriend were a bit bland. I presume future episodes will give these characters more to do, since this episode was more about setting up Wendy and this odd world she lives in.


Less-Than-Impressive Actors: As far as I could tell, this is a solid cast across the board. Brit Morgan and Stephen Sowan are given very little to do here, but what screentime they do get is very good.


Continuity: I presume each episode will detail an oddball case-of-the-week.


Rewatchability: Lots. I can't wait to see this pilot again and savour all the one-liners.


Other Info: Based on the graphic novels by Javier Grillo-Marxuach and Les McClaine.


Other Review: The Futon Critic.


Three Things I Really Like About This Pilot:


Natalie Morales in a tie. Very sexy.

The references to things like The Flash comic, The Avengers tv show and the Shaft movies. I mean, who is this show aimed at? Specifically at me? Whoever is meant to be watching it, I sure will be!

It was laugh-out-loud funny from start to finish. As such, it is impossible to pick out a Best Scene.


Two Things I Really Don't Like About This Pilot:


The wonderful Mary Lynn Rajskub is somewhat wasted in a brief guest role. It's Mary Lynn Rajskub, for frak sake! She should be a recurring baddie or something.

It's just too brilliant to succeed. I loved it. But this thing has cancellation written all over it. I'm not sure anyone will "get it".



Miscellaneous Comments:


Natalie Morales in a tie. Very sexy.


GRADE: A+

No comments:

Ignoring Friday Night Lights renders the Emmy's meaningless.

The podcast's URL is View RSS XML Simply enter this url in your podcasting software of choice. Thanks!

A Briefing With Michael

Twitter Updates




    follow me on Twitter


    Yet Another Film Review Blog

    Yet Another TV Review Podcast

    Yet Another TV Wallpaper Blog