Yet Another TV Review Podcast

I write an occasional TV Review blog (Click Here) as time permits,
You can follow me on twitter (Click Here) and/or Facebook (Click Here).
And I've collected some of my old reviews into a book (lulu.com/Amazon.com/Amazon.co.uk).

Cupid pilot review

Cupid, Bobby Cannavale, Sarah Paulson, Rick Gomez, Camille Guaty


Cupid


god of love (maybe) on earth making matches



Type of Pilot: Romantic Comedy-Drama


Similar Shows: Cupid I, Valentine


The Inner Light: There is someone for (almost) everyone, but it takes a bit of hard work


Strengths: Great premise


Weaknesses: It's good, yes, but let's not forget that it's a remake of a superior show


Impressive Characters: Cupid/Trevor is a likable hero. Innocent and naive in ways, but forceful and heroic at the same time. Plus he's got a vulnerable side. Gotta love that. He looks like lost puppy on a few occasions.
Claire is a bit of a cold fish, yes, but she's a perfect match for Trevor and they make an obvious couple right from the moment they meet.


Impressive Actors: Bobby Cannavale is more of a 'big lug' type than I would have expected for a role like this, but he sure makes it work. I've seen Sarah Paulson in many, many shows and I would never have picked her for a role like this. Yet, somehow, she makes it work, too.
The supporting cast are wonderful. Rick Gomez and Camille Guaty are each utterly adorable (possibly the strangest sentence I have ever written, but there you go).


Less-Than-Impressive Characters: None.


Less-Than-Impressive Actors: Same as. This is a strong cast.


Continuity: None. The old show had very little, too, with only Claire's relationship adding any story arc element to the show.


Rewatchability: I was utterly charmed by the love story between Sean Maguire and Marguerite Moreau and would watch it again, no problem. I'm a sucker for a good love story, which is why I love the original show so much.


Other Info: Remake of Cupid.


Three Things I Really Like About This Pilot:


The love story between Sean Maguire and Marguerite Moreau

The premise: god of love (maybe) on earth making matches

The chemistry between the leads.



Miscellaneous Comments:


Bobby Cannavale is no Jeremy Piven, and Sarah Paulson is no Paula Marshall but - to my surprise and delight - the new Cupid show is good. I liked the characters and I liked the story-of-the-week. Count me in!


GRADE: A

No comments:

Ignoring Friday Night Lights renders the Emmy's meaningless.

The podcast's URL is View RSS XML Simply enter this url in your podcasting software of choice. Thanks!

A Briefing With Michael

Twitter Updates




    follow me on Twitter


    Yet Another Film Review Blog

    Yet Another TV Review Podcast

    Yet Another TV Wallpaper Blog