Yet Another TV Review Podcast

I write an occasional TV Review blog (Click Here) as time permits,
You can follow me on twitter (Click Here) and/or Facebook (Click Here).
And I've collected some of my old reviews into a book (lulu.com/Amazon.com/Amazon.co.uk).

The Bill Engvall Show

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


The Bill Engvall Show


family sit-com: husband, wife, two teens, one smaller kid



Type of Pilot: sit-com


Similar Shows: Family Ties, The Cosby Show, Home Improvement, etc. etc. (any other generic sit-com where you had a mom and dad with three kids)


Strengths: It raises a few smiles, and it is well cast.


Weaknesses: We've seen this exact sit-com a million times before.


Impressive Characters: None. These people are character-types, not characters.


Impressive Actors: It's a strong cast, with good comic timing and an easy, believable chemistry.


Less-Than-Impressive Characters: None.


Less-Than-Impressive Actors: None.


Continuity: None.


Rewatchability: None.


Other Info: Airs Tuesdays at 9.


Three Things I Really Like About This Pilot:


Bill is a likable leading man, he's a good dad type, and his antics do raise a smile or two from time to time. He behaves like a TV Dad, of the type typical of these shows. He loves his wife and family, he is demonstative towards his wife, a little bit confused about his kids, a little bit confused by the world at large, and he's prone to go to extremes when he wants something.

Nancy Travis is one of my favourite performers. I first became a fan when she had a series called Almost Perfect. It's a tad disappointing to see her playing "the wife" in a generic sit-com, but - having said that - I must admit she brings a lot to the role. she's charming and sweet and her chemistry with Engvall is natural and easy.

It wasn't awful, and I could even watch a second episode. If I had to.


Three Things I Really Don't Like About This Pilot:


We've seen it before.

It's a bit bland.

It's a bit predictable.



Miscellaneous Comments:


I put off watching this for weeks and weeks. I usually hate this type of show, especially if it is badly done. So, it was a pleasant relief to find that it's actually well done and likeable. It's still not exactly my cup of tea, but it is is harmless fun, I suppose.


GRADE: B

No comments:

Ignoring Friday Night Lights renders the Emmy's meaningless.

The podcast's URL is View RSS XML Simply enter this url in your podcasting software of choice. Thanks!

A Briefing With Michael

Twitter Updates




    follow me on Twitter


    Yet Another Film Review Blog

    Yet Another TV Review Podcast

    Yet Another TV Wallpaper Blog