Yet Another TV Review Podcast

I write an occasional TV Review blog (Click Here) as time permits,
You can follow me on twitter (Click Here) and/or Facebook (Click Here).
And I've collected some of my old reviews into a book (lulu.com/Amazon.com/Amazon.co.uk).

Worst Week pilot review

Worst Week, Kyle Bornheimer, Erinn Hayes, Nancy Lenehan, Kurtwood Smith


Worst Week
bad luck dogs our hero in front of his girlfriend's parents



Type of Pilot: comedy


Similar Shows: The Worst Week Of My Life (the BBC Original that this is based on), Chance In A Million (a wonderful Channel Four sit-com from the 80s in which crazy bad luck also befell the hapless hero),


The Inner Light: The worst possible thing will happen.


Strengths: It's very, very funny and the hero is a really nice guy who totally doesn't deserve this. But he soldiers one with a hopeful grin on his face.


Weaknesses: The writers have to stretch things somewhat to make the comedy work and we have to take a leap to go with them but - I think - it's well worth it.


Impressive Characters: Poor Sam. I like him. He's just an ordinary guy, very likeable, and horrible things happen to him. But I like him, I really like him and I'm prepared to stick around and root for him. I also like his girlfriend. She's on his side. That's something, at least.


Impressive Actors: Kurtwood Smith is great, but you know that going in. You know before you even watch the first scene that Smith will be terrific. He's been partnered with Nancy Lenehan, another pro who never fails to deliver. This has the makings of a great TV marriage. Maybe it can even rival Smith's previous TV marriage (on That '70s Show). Yes, it's that good. And they are only the supporting players! Erinn Hayes plays the girlfriend. She's a babe. And very, very funny. She was great on The Winner back in 2007, but this script gives her more of a chance to shine. And her delivery is great. However, great and all as the supporting cast are, this show belongs to Kyle Bornheimer. Who the heck is this guy? I've never seen him before, but he brings a great sense of "Really? This is what's gonna happen now?" to the character and I totally love him.


Less-Than-Impressive Characters: Great bunch of regular characters.


Less-Than-Impressive Actors: Top notch talent across the board.


Continuity: Strong, I suspect.


Rewatchability: Well, I've watched the pilot three times so far. That should tell you something.


Other Info: Based on a BBC comedy series called The Worst Week Of My Life.


Three Things I Really Like About This Pilot:


Kyle Bornheimer

Kurtwood Smith

It's hilarious.


One Thing I Really Don't Like About This Pilot:


You really have to suspend disbelief to accept that events could play out this way.



Miscellaneous Comments:


Hilarious.


GRADE: A

No comments:

Ignoring Friday Night Lights renders the Emmy's meaningless.

The podcast's URL is View RSS XML Simply enter this url in your podcasting software of choice. Thanks!

A Briefing With Michael

Twitter Updates




    follow me on Twitter


    Yet Another Film Review Blog

    Yet Another TV Review Podcast

    Yet Another TV Wallpaper Blog