Yet Another TV Review Podcast

I write an occasional TV Review blog (Click Here) as time permits,
You can follow me on twitter (Click Here) and/or Facebook (Click Here).
And I've collected some of my old reviews into a book (lulu.com/Amazon.com/Amazon.co.uk).

Royal Pains pilot review

Royal Pains


Royal Pains


doctor-on-call to the rich/crazy/spoiled



Type of Pilot: Medical Comedy/Drama


Similar Shows: Burn Notice (guy kicked out of his line of business, uses his special skills to help people anyway), MacGyver (hero uses odd things to save lives),


The Inner Light: What if Burn Notice was a medical show?


Strengths: Fast pace, a great sense of fun, good casting, beautiful women, funny lines, great soundtrack,


Weaknesses: It's silly.


Impressive Characters: Hank's a likeable lead character. He's a good guy, but he's crushed when his life takes a bad turn. He's lost and directionless and he resists when life throws a strange opportunity in his path. His brother is hilarious. They are a perfect match (and a classic TV pairing like hundreds before them). I liked the hospital administrator lady. I liked her because the show writes her as a nice person, who cares about her patients. And I liked her because the show avoided writing her as an antagonistic character, as a means towards creating false romantic tension. Instead, she goes after Hank. It's refreshing and sweet to see this on TV.


Impressive Actors: Mark Feuerstein and Paulo Costanzo. I'm a fan of both from previous projects and their chemistry here is sizzling. Brothers and bickering best friends, I very much want to spend my summer watching them get into (and out of) various scrapes.


Less-Than-Impressive Characters: Divya is the weakest character in the pilot. Even in a pilot of crazy, silly coincidences I can't buy the arrival of a willing Assistant with a van full of medical equipment. Yes, I can buy the idea of the benevolent billionaire providing a 'home' for them to live in, but I can't take enough of a leap to accept Divya. Yet.


Less-Than-Impressive Actors: Great casting in terms of regulars and guests.


Continuity: I presume this will follow the Burn Notice model, and be a case-of-the-week driven show, with occasional ongoing elements. I presume Pascale Hutton, Ezra Miller and Tamara Feldman will be back since all three of those characters have a lot more story in them.


Rewatchability: Pretty good. I would watch this pilot again. It's a fun pilot. The music is great and it moves fast. It made me laugh, and I love the lead characters. Yeah, I would watch this again.


Other Info: Critics like this one: Check out MetaCritic.


Three Things I Really Like About This Pilot:


Paulo Costanzo.

The sense of fun.

The music.


One Thing I Really Don't Like About This Pilot:


Divya


Miscellaneous Comments:


I had a ball watching this. The hero is heroic and likable. A nice guy, and - since they have given him MacGyver-like powers - he's cool. The brother is hilarious and - by being there - he makes the hero even more likeable and interesting. It's set up a nice, sweet romance and dropped the lead in a very interesting world.


GRADE: A

No comments:

Ignoring Friday Night Lights renders the Emmy's meaningless.

The podcast's URL is View RSS XML Simply enter this url in your podcasting software of choice. Thanks!

A Briefing With Michael

Twitter Updates




    follow me on Twitter


    Yet Another Film Review Blog

    Yet Another TV Review Podcast

    Yet Another TV Wallpaper Blog